[bksvol-discuss] Re: bookbooks

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 06:27:52 -0600

Kim, Honestly I don't see any reason why the list of ingredients can't appear in a single list as opposed to columns. I'm not sure that Bookshare's tools would retain columns, though they might. It is much easier for those using speech to read them in a list. Sighted people, tell me if I am wrong, but I believe the main reason for doing this is so the recipes take up less room. I need to look at some other cookbooks from Bookshare and see how they and the ingredient list. That would give you a good idea of how to do it.

Melissa

Hi, Jamie, I certainly wouldn't object if the cookbook list was forwarded to the whole group on this list. I think I sent the thing as an attachment. I wouldn't mind proofreading a cookbook if it were just a matter of making it look like what I've seen in Braille from NLS. I don't recall reading any cookbooks in column format in Braille. _Evelyn Lee's Cookbook_ and _Evelyn Lee's New Cookbook_ were the exceptions to the rule. She was a blind cook and Braille Institute published her stuff in Braille. I have no idea if it ever was in print. She had abbreviations peculiar to her, btr. as an abbreviation for butter for instance. I have no idea what daisy cookbooks should look like. If it were just me, and I had the cookbook on my BrailleNote, and I could proofread the thing in Grade two Braille, which is how I'd read the thing anyway, I'd take you up on this. Yeah, pluck my feathers and call me matzo ball soup. (Bak-bak-bak). Regards, Kim.