[bksvol-discuss] Re: bookbooks

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 23:50:04 -0500

Hi Kim!

I think I bought and scanned the Linda Chirinian book before NLS did it, but I'm not sure. I originally bought two print copies, one for me and one for a blind friend for her birthday, but, since she didn't have an optacon, I scanned and corrected it so I could send her an electronic copy so it would be accessible. I got her the printe book, because I thought I would be enfringing on copyright if I didn't.

Interesting to hear about your cassette cookbook collection. It wasn't too technical.

I know people who can't stand the buzzing of the optacon, though it has never bothered me. Yes, it is slow reading compared to braille, but I love the access it gives me to all the print I'd ever want to buzz through. The slate and stylus analogy is a good one.

Debby

At 01:14 AM 10/27/2009, Kim Friedman wrote
Hi, Debby, the book by Linda Chirinian was recorded for the NLS program and
that's where I heard it. I have a tape recorder I bought from APH and I made
a duplicate copy of the cookbook. You are right, this is definitely one
cookbook I like. I have a cookbook collection on cassette comprised of
cookbooks I copied from RFBandD, NLS recordings, or Braille books which I
read on to cassettes so I could keep them. My tape recorder has a tone index
button, but I never learned to do voice indexing as I used a four-track
format for the cassettes and they were recorded at 15/16 IPS. Don't worry,
the tech stuff stops now. All I'll say is I got to be very creative so that
each recipe had a tone differentiating it from its fellows. I never had an
Optacon and I can see how useful it is for you to use it and I think it
gives you an edge in proofreading, but speaking strictly for myself, I could
do without the buzzing and I couldn't understand how one could read fast if
you were using just one finger. It sounded to me like the reading equivalent
of using the slate and stylus. I'd love hearing from you again and thanks
much for writing. Regards, Kim Friedman.