[bksvol-discuss] Re: bookbooks

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 14:35:58 -0400

Hi Kim and Jamie. For what it's worth, I've found that many cookbooks from
the 80s and early 90s scan better than brand new cookbooks. I think that's
because they were using computers with more standard fonts, and they tend to
use real fractions instead of the half symbol in ingredient lists. Cookbooks
from the 60s, on the other hand, don't scan so well because they often use a
font that is sort of decorative or like handwriting, and the paper has
yellowed. The Frugal Gourmet books from the late 80s scanned very well. I
wish I still had them to submit. I scanned them back when I was using DOS
when I scanned them in 1991, and they were almost flawless. I couldn't
convert them when I started using Windows, and that means scanning them from
scratch. I got them from my local library. That means I can get them again.
I just need some vacation time to do more scanning. The Frugal Gourmet Cooks
With Wine is my favorite in that series. Oh no! Now I've made myself hungry
from thinking about the Italian gravy recipe in that book.

Monica Willyard