[bksvol-discuss] Re: about braille

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <kellhart@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 23:55:08 -0500

I have a sort of synesthetic weirdness too, between touch and sound, but
only with certain types of objects. When I was little the names of all my
toys were based on this. When I was very little I didn't realize that this
was uncommon and would call things by names that seemed obvious to me but
which no one around me understood. Everyone just thought I was weird, which
is true. <lol> When I realized that I was the only person on the planet with
this characteristic I ceased allowing myself to manifest it, and only
learned what it was when I heard a program about it on Npr in high school.
Interestingly the objects that cause me to think of names or sounds are the
only things I can get a clear tactile image of in my mind. I can also
mentally tactilize braille, but it doesn't happen naturally. If I am
remembering something that I read, even in braille, I only have the words
and ideas, I don't remember anything about the text. In one of my
interpreting classes we read a lot of material on improving memory, and one
suggestion was that it is useful to picture certain kinds of detailed
information, like phone numbers or statistics, written in your mind. I've
started to do this, imagining the numbers in braille, and I think it does
help me. Maybe I'll stop having the irritating experience of remembering
that I've read statistics on a given subject, and knowing everything about
it except the relevant numbers. <lol>
Ok, that's probably way too much information about my weird brain. <grin>
Kellie