[bksvol-discuss] Re: about braille

  • From: "Donna Smith" <donnafsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 14:59:09 -0400

I agree with the remarks about the untold usefulness of braille to people
who really can't use print without a lot of magnification, especially if
this circumstance exists when the person is a child and just learning to
read.  I mean, why not teach braille when it is the easiest time of life to
learn it??

I have been a vraille user since before starting first grade, and have
always used it in one form or another.  As an adult, though, most of my
braille input has been done with the slate and stylus, although I used a
Braille 'n Speak for a year or so back around 1993.  When I got my
BrailleNote two years ago, I was shocked to realize that I am much faster
and more accurate at inputting using the qwerty keyboard than the standard
braille keyboard!  Even after two years of pretty constant use, my braille
input has improved, but I'm still much more accurate with qwerty.  I never
would have guess that!

And like Kellie, I process information differently based on how I receive
it.  I can listen to the computer read something and then read it on my
BrailleNote and discover totally new concepts.  It seems to break down into
that more intensive information is processed better reading braille, and the
more entertainment-based information works best with audio, though I still
enjoy reading a book for fun using braille, too.

Peace and Hope,

Donna