[bksvol-discuss] Re: about braille

  • From: "Kyrath. (AKA Rob)" <kyrath@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:13:32 -0400

Hi Sarah,
In many cases, I too prefer listening to ViaVoice than a dry, monotone
reader.  Although, I wouldn't say that my absolute level of preference is as
distinct as Guido's.
One factor in this rationale is that I find myself mostly reading series,
rather than stand alone books.  And I must tell you, there's nothing more
annoying than reading about the exact same characters, exact same
environment, (i.e. language mannerisms, culture, scenery) but yet hearing
distinct differences in pronunciations and intonations/emphasis, just the
overall presentation of the written word, due to different narrators.  When
your mind is expecting a certain delivery and doesn't get it, you will tend
to note these occurrences.  Therefore, slightly distracting you from the
flow of the story.
The only drawback to using the ViaVoice TTS is that there isn't a convenient
method of using it away from the computer.  Sometimes, I just want to prove
to myself that the pc and I are not permanently attached to each other.
*grin*
Just my humble perspective on the matter.
=====
-- Rob