[bksvol-discuss] Re: about braille

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 13:02:25 -0500

If I may once more, ever-so-humbly chime in,

I am quietly bemused by the implicit droll suggestions that those of us
who have not embraced Braille are 'children of a lesser literacy'.
I must have been living for countless years under the now clearly
misguided self-delusion that  my proficiency in handling the written
language was somewhat comparable to that of those members of the blind
community who are schooled in the tactile representation of the word.
Well,  it is now clear that I am instead woefully deficient in that
regard,  and my TTS-mediated textual cognition mechanism is inherently
inferior to the tactile one,  because the reflexive conversion I perform
from the sounds to the underlying fully expanded words for some
unfathomable reason  will never match the direct representation of the
compressed same,  which can be only enjoyed by the neurologically-superior
tactile gurus.

On the other hand,  when those anthropocentric views of the 'true
believers' are finally mitigated  by a modicum of skeptical relativism,
when the pitfalls of aprioristic believes are detected, when the urban
legends of blind Braille employment rates uniformly peddled by the Braille
technology industry re recognized to be outdated and tendentious, and
those 'superior neurological pathways' are finally relegated to the realm
of pseudoscientific myths,  then I may be eventually readmitted to the
world of the 'chosen ones'.

Do remember the words of the sage of Appenzell:
'Spoons do not gag people.  People using spoons gag people!'

Aloysius.

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

"Sharon Jackson" <dolly1025@xxxxxxxxxxx>
05/17/2004 11:21 AM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: about braille

Paul,

I agree.  Access to information is crucial to accomplishing college
courses.
I think students should gain the necessary skills to utilize all forms of
materials available to them.

I do believe that reading is different than listening because one has to
know the rules that govern the written language and formulate their own
interpretations while listening only deals with the comprehension of the
material.  Does this mean that individuals who do not read cannot succeed
in
college?  I do not believe this is the case as long as they know how to
access information.

In my graduate courses, we are given the necessary information to assist
children/adults in accessing information whether they have to read it
themselves or have it read to them.

Sharon