[bksvol-discuss] Re: about braille

  • From: "Donna Smith" <donnafsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 03:48:27 -0400

When I convert language into written words in my brain, it's always in
braille, though I can convert it to print if I make a conscious effort to do
it.  Even when I use to read with the Opticon, (I know, that means I'm
slightly older than Shelley's 23 years, <grin>), which had to be read one
print letter at a time, I had to convert those letters into braille in my
brain in order to put together the final word. It is also the method I use
to remember phone numbers...visualizing them written in braille.

I also find it very difficult to explain in words how I visualize objects or
mental maps or people or exactly how I experience dreams.  That is, I have
no trouble describing events around these things such as what the dream was
about, but when people ask me about the images in my dreams, or what I
process from detailed descriptions of things around me that are larger than
I can reach, such as descriptions of a mountain view or particular
architecture, I have trouble giving explanations that are understandable.
It's like my frame of reference is different and I lost the ability to
describe it because it wasn't understood by others.  Still, when  a person's
name is mentioned, I get a mental image of that person, and it's
disconcerting for me as a very verbal person, not to be able to explain it.

This is a very fascinating discussion and I'm glad that we're having it even
though we're deviating from the topic of books for the collection.  But then
after the discussion of lascivious hardware and blueberries, I guess it's no
surprise that we're deviants!

Peace and Hope,

Donna, who really has no business being awake at this time of the morning!