[bksvol-discuss] Re: I have got to try this!!!

  • From: Kelly Pierce <kkellyp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 18:49:42 -0600

This puppy gently turns each page so guillotining a book to run it
through a sheet feeder isn’t necessary to scan the 2,500 to 3,500
pages an hour it promises.  This is obviously intended for the large
scanning projects being undertaken by several tech-related
organizations and library groups.

A more significant question though is how all of this scanned
material, most of it from libraries paid for by taxpayers like myself,
can be made available to the blind and those with disabilities.  While
about 1,800 volunteer submitted books were added to Bookshare last
year, this machine can scan almost as much in a week running 23 hours
a day with an average productivity of 3,000 pages an hour with 350
page books.  I hope that Bookshare or a similar resource can tap into
this output someday.

Kelly