[bksvol-discuss] Re: I have got to try this!!!

  • From: Chela Robles <cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 16:23:13 -0800

All this is very fascinating!

On 1/8/12, Judy s. <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for posting about this Valerie!  I hadn't heard about the Ion
> scanner. I went out and looked at it, and then googled for reviews.  I
> don't want to sound too unenthusiastic because I love the idea. However,
> unless I'm reading the reviews of the beta models wrong (it still hasn't
> shipped a year after being announced), the Ion scanner only has
> primitive text conversion OCR software.  It's really intended for
> creating image-based PDFs.
>
> This is really timely for me, though, as a few months ago I found the
> website for an entire group of geeks who call themselves the "do it
> yourself book scanners." They've been experimenting for several years
> now with the technique the Ion scanner uses. They use two cameras, one
> for each page of an open book, and simple lighting, over a book that's
> held in a cradle. They've got full plans of several different
> do-it-yourself designs to make one, even plans for one you can make out
> of a cardboard box! This technique can only be used, I would guess, for
> sighted users as you would need to set up the focus for the cameras
> manually at the start of every book scan.
>
> The group has also developed open-source OCRing software, but I haven't
> looked at it to see what it can do, and don't know if it runs on a Mac.
> Some of the stuff I read, though, says what many of the DIY crew does is
> take the images with these cameras and then use standard OCRing software
> on their PCs and Macs after they've photoed the entire book to then OCR
> it. They claim it's much faster to photo a book this way than getting an
> image of a page using a standard flatbed scanner, and you get better
> images as you can get the pages to lie flat easily without cutting the
> book apart or damaging its spine.
>
> Here's the link to their site:
> http://www.diybookscanner.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
>
> I'd sure love to talk to someone who has actually done this to see how
> well it really works! smile.
>
> Judy s.
>
> Valerie Maples wrote:
>> The latest in digitizing books:
>>
>> http://www.ionaudio.com/news/press-releases/ion-announces-book-saver-book-scanner
>>

>> more information, a picture, and embedded video at:
>>
>> http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2011/01/scan-a-book-in-15-minutes.html
>>

>> It is not small, but looks VERY easy to use!  Best part, it looks like
>> I could then OCR on my Mac as easily as a PC.
>>
>> On another note, someone posted on MobileRead about the mother of all
>> book scanners. I am not sure if you can read this without an account,
>> and it may have been found by our new fearless leader since the poster
>> is named Alisa, but if Bookshare is looking to spend serious bucks:
>>
>> http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23135
>>
>> Valerie, who would love to do ALL her work on a Mac!

"To me, music that breaks your heart is the music that stays with you
forever. It's one thing to be melancholy and one thing to be sophisticated,
but when you get the two of them together in a way people can relate to,
then I think you're on to something. You want the sophistication to lie in
the purity of the sound, the beauty of the arrangements, and the quality of
the performances."-Trumpeter Chris Botti
--
Chela Robles
E-Mail/GoogleTalk/AIM/MySpace/LinkedIn: cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx