[bksvol-discuss] Re: Copyright question

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 12:09:11 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, JIm,

Why are you laboring on Labor Day? It's a no-labor
day--smile.

But seriously, thanks for checking with the lawyer and
reporting  back to us. The situation has come up with
some regularity, because people obtain books that are
privately published and are never copyrighted. I've
come across a couple that were donated to our
used-book store. Now we have the official word and the
reason.

It would seem that if a book wasn't copyrighted, we'd
not be breaking any copyright law by posting the book.
However, the only solution I know of is to write to
the publisher or author, if an address can be found,
and ask for permission, or ask them to send a copy of
the book to bookshare. There are have been some books
published by religious organizations and not
copyrighted where the question has come up. Whether
the validator did actually right to the publisher or
not, I don't know.

Cindy