[bksvol-discuss] Re: Copyright question

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:44:00 -0700 (PDT)

No, Pratik, you haven't made things confusing, you've
clarified.

If I understand you correctly, the creation date is
when the author first starts work on his/her opus,
rather than when (s)he finishes it, and he/she puts
that date on the application for copyright.  I wasn't
aware that an author was presumed to have the
copyright on his/her work even if it wasn't applied
for. That means, I assume, that when we can't find
specific information about the copyright holder
anywhere, and I mean after a thorough search, we can
assume that the author is the holder -- or should we
assume, when we see the date immediately after the
publisher's name, that the work was commissioned by
the publisher and that firm holds the copyright? That
would seem to be the case in some series I've seen,
usually for books for children, perhaps about the
sciences.

Thanks for clearing up, along with Gerald, the
difference dates on the LC page, at least for me.

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html