[bksvol-discuss] Re: Copyright question

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:30:51 -0500

Lea,

To prevent Gustavo from kicking the books back to the Step 1 page for lack
of information, do the copyright research ahead of time for him, but explain
what you 've done in the comments.  You should be able to find the
copyrights for the books you've mentioned at the U.S. Copyright Office's
website: http://www.copyright.gov/records/cohm.html.  The only reason for a
paperback to have a different copyright than the original book (if the
paperback isn't the original printing) that I know of would be for the
paperback to contain additional uncopyrighted material which would occur if
the book is a newer version or edition of the book., and I don't know that
you would find that with Jordan's books or the other book you mentioned..

BTW, what are the titles of the Robert Jordan books you've scanned?  I have
been considering scanning a few of his Wheel of Time books which Bookshare
is missing because I had seen the series listed on the Wish List at one
point early this year.  The two times I had started to scan book 2 in the
series, the internet said it was available just priort to my going to the
library, but one time someone had checked out the only available copy in
that short time and the other time the library was not able to find the
book on the shelves or any where else they could think to look.

Gerald