[bksvol-discuss] Re: BRF

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:26:13 -0500

Hi Tony,

As a non, or at least a very reluctant, braille user, I find the concept of a dysfunctional back translator interesting. Given the examples that you and Shelley have set forth, I can't understand why a back translator wouldn't, or couldn't, be as efficient as the original translator. Is there some sort of contextual issue involved?

Dave

At 11:58 AM 12/16/2004, you wrote:
Hi Shelley. Sorry, but I have to disagree with your reasoning behind why Braille does not back-translate well. The way we get around the limited number of symbols is with computer Braille. Even in litrary novels, .brf files are really formatted computer Braille files. That's why the number 4 is used in place of period, for example. In the case of dots 4-6 followed by T, this would be represented in computer Braille as _T. Look at any NLS .brf file for a good example of this. If you have a translation program, try writing random text and translating it.

The reason why back-translating doesn't work well is laziness of programmers or sloppy translation tables. If you look at a demo of Duxbury, you will get almost perfect translation. I tried it and was very impressed with the results. It inserts the letter "d" randomly though because it is a demo. If you look at NFBTrans and the version history, you will see that the last several versions have specifically been to fix errors in the back-translation tables. I am not faulting the author of NFBTrans since it is a volunteer effort. I use it myself frequently. Duxbury costs a fortune while NFBTrans is free. I am saying that that's the reason why computers make translation mistakes. The other problem, as I said previously, is that so much formatting is thrown away. It is impossible to put back page and line breaks once they have been removed. A reasonable guess can be made but it isn't reliable.