[aztec-users] Re: NURBS in Aztec?

  • From: Alexander Enzmann <xander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: aztec-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 16:54:57 -0400

richard wrote:

> Actually, the only thing I think NURBS are good for is to build things
> like cars, household furniture, things like that..
> Not really the things I'd like to create anyway :)
> (altough I'd still like to build that car from www.suurland.com
> sometime)
>
> About the quad and polygon stuff, it would be great if the resulting
> meshes from subdivs were build out of quads instead of triangles (or
> better yet, make it an option so you can switch between those 2)

One minor difficulty.  Aztec doesn't do quads.  It does triangles.  Not
sure disadvantages of quads (can't ensure planarity, hassle of
maintaining more complicated internal mesh structure for both tri/quad,
...) are overcome by advantages.

> Quads really are much better when using the boxmodelling technique..
> (subdivided mesh will look better)

If you have to have quads in the result, you can always get them - three
per triangle.  Of course this would have to be some sort of export
thing, as you couldn't represent them in Aztec.

Xander