[aztec-users] Re: NURBS in Aztec?

  • From: Alexander Enzmann <xander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: aztec-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 09:39:24 -0400

richard wrote:

> And I know Aztec doesn't support quads, but it really should.. a subdiv
> modelling program without support for quads is not complete.
> I don't know if you've got some modelling experience, but I'm sure
> you'd agree :)

There are two basic ways to implement subdivision surfaces.  One using
quad meshes, one using triangular meshes (I implemented Loop surfaces -
a particular way of performing subdivision on tri meshes).

Either way of doing things is possible with an arbitrary mesh.  However,
you need to turn that mesh into either all quads or all tris.  So for
mixed poly meshes, there will be a first pass to make the mesh uniform.

In the end, it boils down to what sort of control surface and editing
tools get you to the desired smooth surface quickly.  To get what you
want, Aztec would need to support quads internally (for the
modelling/editing part).  Implementing the subdivision process is
relatively straightforward no matter what the representation.

Xander