[aztec-users] Re: NURBS in Aztec?

  • From: "Phillip Martin" <pmartin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <aztec-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 08:08:51 +1000

> Personally, I'm not convinced it's a good idea.  Doing NURBS right is
> hard (particularly mating trim curves) - people would be better off
> using Rhino & exporting triangles as appropriate.  Would NURBS really be
> in keeping with the intent of Aztec?  Would effort be better spent in
> making modelling tools?

I agree, making modelling tools would be a much more advantageous thing to
do. As Xander says, doing proper nurbs curves is hard. HAving other nurbs
curves on nurbs surfaces, and performing fillets, blends and trims is a
nighmare, and not something I'd like to do anytime soon. I would much rather
have more functional modelling tools that help people actually make stuff.

I have still yet to see anything nice made with Aztec, and that says to me
the tools just aren't up to scratch.

A good kick in the pants for me to stop playing around with low level things
like I always do to make them 'nice', and to move me back on doing
somrething productive.

However, If someone is really keen to add in Nurbs, then I wont stop them,
as it would be cool, but I just don't think it will be that useful.

Phil