[aztec-users] Re: Hello to the new mailing list subscribers!

  • From: "julien Roger" <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <aztec-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 10:28:32 +0200

Hi all (and sorry in advance for my poor english),

I'm new in this mailing list, ans just disocovered Aztec a few days ago.
Very impressive.
I want to explain what I need for my job and see with your response if Aztec
is the right way to go..

In my job, for realtime applications, I usually use Maya to import my models
(generaly modeled in Rhino),
organise the scene graph, put materials and textures, sometimes also
animations and lights, and export
all that for our applications (OpenGL / Performer / dvMockup).

As you can see, Maya is use for organisation of the database, and essentialy
for
materials (with UV editor, different mapping techniques : planar, spheriq...
and for simple
geometry modification : collapse/separate, smooth normals, merge multiple
edges, vertex, etc...).

Aztec seams to be a got soft for doing all that stuffs. Is'nt it ?

For my job, something very important is to get a precise preview of the
final OpenGL rendering.
For that, some features are really needed :
    - full support of OpenGL-like materials (Emission, Ambient, Diffuse,
Specular, Shininess, mapping on diffuse or reflection,
transparency),
    - full support of OpenGL-like lights (spot, point, directionnal and
ambient with all parameters : cone angle, exponent,
attenuation, ambient, diffuse and specular intensity, etc.).
    - Some general options like local lighting.

The other features needed are :
    - good obj import (not only triangles),
    - full obj export (texture coord and associated mtl file),
    - 3DM import (see www.opennurbs.com and www.rhino3d.com, it's an open
file format).
and if possible :
    - billboard objects,
    - LOD,
    - An "attribute spread sheet".

and in my dreams :
    - For the "near" futur, the support of real time shading language (Cg or
OpenGL 2.0 shading language, etc...),
    - multitexturing,
    - design of interactions (action for a click on a object, etc.).

and a lot of other things !!!

I'm interested in the design of aztec. Is there some white paper ? a roadmap
?
some deadlines/dates for new versions and features ?

Let me know if all my comments are useful for your developement team
and if Aztec will be the right software for doing my job !

Thanks for your work, and for your responses,
    julien.