[aztec-users] Re: Hello to the new mailing list subscribers!

  • From: Jordan Wilberding <diginux@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: aztec-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 16:00:00 -0500

> On Wednesday 03 July 2002 14:17, Richard wrote:

<snip>

> It looks like a nice library to integrate in Aztec (somewhere far away in
> the future) but there's one major problem: the license.
> Actually, there is no license at all, which means they can change that on a
> later date and start charging money.. (afaik)
> Same goes for the 3DM file importer.. there's no license for it.
>
> Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (let's hope I'm wrong :)
> (it's a very nice library though - one of the best)

I have not looked at these libraries myself yet. But if they are as good
as you say they are(are they completely usable as of now?) then
there should really be no problem using them.

The reason is, when someone chooses to release code without a license
then that means they can never charge money for that version that was
released (at least thats how I think it legally works). So if they did decide
to start charging money then they could only charge for new versions
they put out. Since we would already have the source code from before
we could always modify it ourselves to add any features that they might
add. And if for some reason there became a problem with that we could
always dump it :)

-Jordan Wilberding