[aztec-users] Re: Hello to the new mailing list subscribers!

  • From: "Phillip Martin" <pmartin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <aztec-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 21:51:07 +1000

> As you can see, Maya is use for organisation of the database, and
> essentialy
> for
> materials (with UV editor, different mapping techniques : planar,
> spheriq...
> and for simple
> geometry modification : collapse/separate, smooth normals, merge multiple
> edges, vertex, etc...).
>
> Aztec seams to be a got soft for doing all that stuffs. Is'nt it ?

Forgive me, but I don't understand this part. Do you mean Aztec is good for
this? or is bad for this?

> For my job, something very important is to get a precise preview of the
> final OpenGL rendering.
> For that, some features are really needed :
>     - full support of OpenGL-like materials (Emission, Ambient, Diffuse,
> Specular, Shininess, mapping on diffuse or reflection,
> transparency),
>     - full support of OpenGL-like lights (spot, point, directionnal and
> ambient with all parameters : cone angle, exponent,
> attenuation, ambient, diffuse and specular intensity, etc.).
>     - Some general options like local lighting.

Aztec does only some of these. Since it uses OpenGL for all its rendering,
it is possible that it will do it all, but right now, it does very little.
Here is what it does do:

Texture mapping on a diffuse channel only. Texture mapping with generated UV
coordates (such as reflection) would be trivial to add in.

Emission, Ambient, Diffuse, Specular, Shininess colour adjustments for
materials.

Point lights: Sepcular and diffuse colour control.

> The other features needed are :
>     - good obj import (not only triangles),

We don't have this. We just do simple .obj stuff. We simply do not have
enough sample .obj files to do any better.

>     - full obj export (texture coord and associated mtl file),

We don't do this either, for a similar reason as the import.

>     - 3DM import (see www.opennurbs.com and www.rhino3d.com, it's an open
> file format).

We don't handle nurbs geoetry at all. No reason why it cannot be implemented
however.

> and if possible :
>     - billboard objects,

No, but again it could be added without too much hassle.

>     - LOD,

No.

>     - An "attribute spread sheet".

Not there, but would be easy enough to add.

> and in my dreams :
>     - For the "near" futur, the support of real time shading
> language (Cg or
> OpenGL 2.0 shading language, etc...),
>     - multitexturing,
>     - design of interactions (action for a click on a object, etc.).
>
> and a lot of other things !!!

Hehhe, those are in my deams as well :)

> I'm interested in the design of aztec. Is there some white paper
> ? a roadmap
> ?
> some deadlines/dates for new versions and features ?

No, no and more no :)   Most of the plans are in my head, or in the heads of
the other guys here. We all have separate things we want to achieve with
Aztec, so we are all happy to do our own thing.

> Let me know if all my comments are useful for your developement team
> and if Aztec will be the right software for doing my job !

Your comments are very useful, and thankyou very much for taking the time to
post them. However, as much as it saddens me, I don't think Aztec is right
for you. It just isn't stable enough, and it doesn't have the features you
are after. I wish I had the time to add them all in for you, but
unfortunately I don't think it will all happen right now.

Phil