[AZ-Observing] Re: Supernova in M74

  • From: Joe Larkin <joeclarkin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 10:48:36 -0700 (PDT)

Yes it counts.

Here's my reasoning:

We see M74 do to the light of the stars that make it up. Since this
is light from (one of the) stars in M74, you are seeing M74.

And let's be extra nitpicky:

But we also see light from Nebula in M74!
my response: This is starlight reflected or light that is produced
from gas that is excited to glow by starlight, even though that
starlight may be outside of the visual range.