[AZ-Observing] Re: Supernova in M74

  • From: "Thad Robosson" <starstarcracker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 16:48:45 -0700

> I side with Jeff and Brian. One star does not maketh a galaxy. The
opposing
> argument is like saying one saw the forest because one saw one tree.

But what if there's fog, and you KNOW that tree is in a particular forest?

Here's a question for everyone....Of all the people who actually "saw" M74
that night, how many of us saw an honest to goodness "galaxy"?  Me, I saw a
very faint fuzzy thing that wasn't much more than a fairly well defocused
star, (well, much less focused than the other stars in the field of view
anyway....) and I was confident in saying I saw M74 that night because I
knew where it was compared to the other stars, etc, etc.

My thinking is if that the above example counts as an observation, then
seeing any object belonging to M74 should count too.
Just my couple clinks of currency anyhow, not to be taken too
seriously......honest.  Besides, think of it this way, how many chances are
we going to get to observe a SN in ANY Messier object during the Marathon?
Me thinketh not too many....

Thad