[AZ-Observing] Re: Supernova in M74

  • From: Joe Larkin <joeclarkin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:32:28 -0700 (PDT)

Hehe, this is fun (and not at all serious).

So seeing light from _some stars_ in M74 is an observation, but
seeing light from this particular one isn't?

Every photon of light from M74 is from a star (with some minor
nitpicking), why is this star different?

A supernova can make an galaxy much more brilliant. And that may make
something visible that wasn't visible before, but why is the light of
other stars a legal observation, but light from this particular star
a bogus observation?

Feel free to ignore this if the argument isn't entertaining to you. I
do see the merit in your thoughts, but I see this as a valid
observation of M74, but with a Maris type asterisk*, ie. "he got the
hitting record, but the season was longer for him" type of thing.

I'm trying to think of an object where this is the normal situation.
Perhaps tiny planetary nebulae with no visible disks? Objects seen
only with a nebula filter? A variable nebulae at its brightest? Pluto
at its brightest?

Joe Larkin