[AZ-Observing] Re: Sentinel this weekend

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 11:26:46 -0700

John Majewski and I arrived around 3:30 PM Saturday.There were only
three other folks there when we arrived. A couple more arrived later.
It was fairly windy and cool, but not bad. At sunset we set up and
observed Venus and Mercury. Pluto was beyond hope as being too dim
and deep into the sunset after glow.

As darkness fell the sky exploded with stars. The wind died some, but
it was still chilly. John had a chance to put his old Meade 8" SCT
through its paces. It performed well. The enhanced coating seems to
really make a difference. The seeing was very good and well worth the
trip and cold. Since this was probably my last dark sky trip until
next spring, I am glad we made it.

For all you wimps that stayed home, you missed a great observing night.

Jeff
--
                                      Jeff Hopkins
                                        HPO SOFT