[AZ-Observing] Re: Refractor Comparison

  • From: Brian Skiff <Brian.Skiff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:13:57 -0700 (MST)

     At the Lowell Star Party last June I had a casual view of Jupiter
through one of the 4-inch Stellarvue telescopes, and was impressed.
Sorry I can't recall which model it was (SV102, SV4, SV105) --- but I
think the tube was medium-length, so possibly the SV105.  Remember
that if you go larger, such as the 5- and 6-inchers Dwight mentioned,
you're sacrificing greatly in portability because the mount required
gets big fast.
     I'll second the notion of a refractor-fest, though it could be
done at some regular event.  I'll be pleased to bring along my "vintage"
(450mm focal length) 70mm Pronto so you can see the chromatic error
of an ordinary doublet.

\Brian