[AZ-Observing] Re: Refractor Comparison

  • From: SteveB0513@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 21:37:01 EDT

Stan,
I used a Celestron C102HD (Synta) for several years.  It was a good scope.
However, last Fall I bought a TV102.  There is NO comparison.  On an
average night with the HD102, I could use maybe 100-150X on Jupiter
and Saturn before the image broke down.  On the TeleVue, I routinely
use 200-250X and the skies where I now live are not as good as Arizona.

I also dispute that a 4" refractor is "useless" for deep sky.  While I'm not
going to chase Seyfert's Sextet with the TV102, many open clusters are
outstanding in the scope and brighter nebulosities are very good as well.
I have no intention of "dumping" my 14" Dob, but they'll bury me with
the TV102.

My two cents worth.

Steve Bell
Former EVAC Member