[AZ-Observing] Re: Refractor Comparison

  • From: "Stanley A. Gorodenski" <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:01:12 -0800

Jeff Hopkins wrote:

>There will be a star party in Prescott a week from this coming
>Saturday (25 Sept) and the Thunderdbird  party the end of October.
>There may be some of the scopes you mentioned and you could get a
>chance to check them out.

Yes, there are star parties, like the one on Prescott this weekend
(which likely will be cloudy), but I have found from experience there
are usually not many refractors, if at all, during such events. One is
really taking a chance, and even if there were some, it might take
another month or more of attending star parties to look through other
refractors. One cannot make good comparisons this way, images based on
memories a month or more old, as well as the effects of different seeing
conditions and various degrees of light pollutioin which can affect
image contrast.

I think a special observing session of refractor owners would be
valuable to not only the refractor owners themselves, but to others
thinking of getting a refractor but not knowing how the different ones
perform. Hey, maybe a club could even be formed - how about "The
Refractorists Club of Arizona", RCA.

With this I feel I am beating a dead horse and will say no more.
Stan