[AZ-Observing] Re: Refractor Comparison

  • From: "William R Wood" <w.wood@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:04:47 -0700

I will bring my Tak 5" or 3.5", whichever is preferred by the attendees, to
a refractor outing if it can be a one night affair.  For 2 nighters at dark
sites like Sentinel or the All AZ Star Party I really want to bring my 10"
reflector since I don't get to use it much at home due to the nasty light
pollution.

May I also make the somewhat radical suggestion that at least one night of
the refractor marathon be held in town?  I have never had decent seeing at a
desert star party sufficient to really appreciate the 5" refractor (or the
10" reflector for that matter) on doubles or planets/moon.  The 3.5" does
handle poor seeing pretty well, however.  I am a double star person and use
the refractors at home almost exclusively where I frequently get 6/10 seeing
that produces very good images of doubles and planets/moon.  DSOs are better
at a dark site of course but if folks want to see what a refractor can do on
doubles or planets (which is where they really shine in my opinion) then
maybe an outing in the city would be better.  My seeing in FH is iffy I
suppose because of the hills and weird air currents but I have heard other
fellows say they have pretty consistent good seeing in other parts of town.

Regards,

Bill Wood
Fountain Hills, AZ

snip