[AZ-Observing] Re: I-17

  • From: "Stanley A. Gorodenski" <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 18:23:49 -0800

As promised, I am back with what I found out regarding the efforts in
the early 1980's to get counties and cities to adopt dark sky ordinances.

In the early 1980's Dr. Crawford and another individual did a lot of work with
counties and cities (over the whole state, not just the southern half) to
encourage lighting ordinances. Not many others individuals were involved with
the effort. The other individual did most of the actual field work involved in
the outreach efforts.

Dr. Crawford and his associate were able to reach most all counties and cities
but not all due to lack of time. The State and Governor were also approached.
ASU was involved in a study of the fiscal impact of astronomy to the state
about this time and a report was published. The study found a clear and large
impact , and that astronomy is a high tech clean "industry". There is now a
clear need for an updated version of the report for all locales, which could be
a chance to educate many about the pluses of lighting ordinances.

Prescott and Prescott Valley were approached. Most of the communities were
quite receptive and most, something like 50 overall, actually passed an
ordinance. It was not found that communities felt this was a gimmick, and
apparently this might have been true for Prescott Valley as well.

Stan