[AZ-Observing] Cherry Road observing and signs

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:20:31 -0700

Howdy all;
AJ and I traveled to Cherry Road last night and had a fun, but breezy time.  We
observed some interesting objects in Cepheus and Cassiopeia at rather low power
seeing as how the seeing was at 5 out of 10.  The wind picked up about 10:30
and we packed up and returned to civilization.

Before the sun set I took a couple of images of the signs that are at the usual
observing site and at another spot further on down the road.  I have provided
those to Stan Clark and he will post them to the SAC site in the next day or so
and everyone can have a look.  The two signs are quite different.  The sign
posted further down the road has a US Forestry symbol and some more official
language than the sign at the usual Cherry SAC site.

I look forward to any answers that can be found about whether or not this site
is available to us in the future.  Not an opinion, please, but a bonofide
judgment by the person in charge of the Prescott National Forest.  If the sign
is a hoax planted by the Nazi Party section of the Treehuggers Club...then
let's remove it.  If it is official and we can get a ruling that might still
allow us to make use of the land, then let's move in that direction.  But, I
would feel very uneasy holding an official club star party at that location
until this is resolved.

Regardless of the sign, AJ and I had a fun time and enjoyed the interesting and
always fascinating positions of stars in clusters.  From sparse little clumps
to giant balls of stars they come in all shapes and sizes.  We even saw some
colors in a few.

Clear Skies to us all;
Steve Coe

Author "Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist"
Saguaro Astronomy Club website
www.saguaroastro.org