[AZ-Observing] Re: I-17

  • From: "Ken Reeves" <kreeves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 14:41:08 -0700

 OK, I'll take the blame for all of this.  If I wouldn't have moved to
Anthem, I-17 would be a real peaceful place, all of Arizona skies would be
asdark as they were in the 70's and there would be no war :-)  I guess
anyonewho has moved into Arizona has to take equal blame for the increasing
light pollution.
Seriously though, the light pollution from Anthem is pretty small as the
community was required to adopt the Maricopa County lighting
recommendations.  Next time you are flying in at night, see if you can find
Anthem.  The only thing that guided me to the community was first the very
bright light beacon from the prison (there long before Anthem) and the
fairlybright Outlet Malls (also there long before Anthem).  If you really
want to go after a major light polluter, attack the sports field near
Pinnacle Peak and 47th Av.  When flying in, these are always the brightest
lights no matter which direction one comes in.

As far as where is the next major development taking place, it already has
and it's called Prescott Valley, which is probably adding much more light
pollution to the Cherry Area than any other subdivision.

By the way, while riding my bike in the Anthem neighborhood, I can easily
seethe summer Milky Way.

DBogan3220@xxxxxxx wrote:       Well, someday soon we may end up abandoning
the Cherry Rd site for the
light pollution and move further north. The Skies at the Cherry Rd site
right
now remind me of how it was when SAC was observing at Fessler's over 20
years
ago. The lights from the city Phoenix did not encroach on the southern part
of
the skies until the about the same position of the sky as does the Cherry Rd

site today. Fesslers was dark all around and the summer Milky Way could be
easily made out. Of course those who don't know where Fesslers was they were
just
south of where Anthem is today! Thank you Anthem.  I guess our next dark sky

site heading north is going to be the area around Stoneman Lake.

      Clear Skies
      Dwight L Bogan