[AZ-Observing] Re: I-17

  • From: "Bob Erdmann" <bobe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 08:49:54 -0700

>  Dwight Bogen wrote:
>
>        There has been talk off and on over the past twenty years or so of
an
> alternative Rd to the top of the hill but as I understand the Rd coming
out of
> BlackCanyon City is not too good of shape. But I guess all you need is one
> really bad accident and that is all she wrote for the evening.

There have been al lot of really bad accidents on the I-17 parking lot since
February (those are the only ones I know about, as I wasn't driving on the
I-17 parking lot much before then), and they tend to close down the highway
for hours on end.  I stopped keeping track of how many hours I've spent
parked on the I-17 parking lot since February, and yes, I do mean parked -
engine off, out of my car walking around, parked!  If one looks at a road
map, one can see that it is very possible to get to the Cherry road site
without ever setting a tire on the I-17 parking lot.  Looking at the map,
one would say "wow...it looks like it will take longer to go that way", but
reality is that you'll probably get there hours ahead of when you would if
your were to take the I-17 parking lot, since in my experience, parking is
much slower than driving, and I-17 is just that....a very large parking lot.

> Thank you anthem. I wonder were the next big
> development will take place maybe Cordes Junction.

You can thank our public officials for all of this.  In ten years we should
all be in permanent grid lock.  I think maybe developing CCD
astrophotography from our back yards right now will be the only form of
observing we'll be able to do then without taking a week's vacation to go on
an observing trip to do a single night's observing.  We may all be relegated
to doing our observing in front of a computer screen with a copy of the
Digitized Sky Survey.

/Bob