[AZ-Observing] Re: I-17

  • From: "Ken Reeves" <kreeves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 16:23:01 -0700

 All lighting within the residential area (as far as I know of) are full
cutoff fixtures.  I'll take note of the commercial areas (Safeway, Osco) and
reply later on that.  In our CCR's under lighting, it states:
"Exterior lighting is to be understated.  Emphasize downlighting as opposed
to uplighting; downlighting has less impact on the night sky as light is
casedownward rather than spilling into the nighttime sky.  ...  Exposed
bulbsand any lighting which produces excessive glare or that shines on
another Lot are not allowed..."

I thought this all came from the Maricopa County recommendations.  Even the
ball field lighting is downward pointing, and I can easily walk/ride in the
area without being blinded.

We'll have to see what happens as the High School comes up and more
comercialareas are developed.  The point is that if everyone does what
Anthemis currently doing for lighting, light pollution would be greatly
reduced.  No, it isn't perfect, but it's a step in the right direction.

By the way, does IDA or any other organization work with the ball field
lighting?  As I stated earlier, the one on Pinnacle Peak is absolutely
horrible.

My $0.02

Ken
>>  the light pollution from Anthem is pretty small as the
>>  community was required to adopt the Maricopa County lighting
>>  recommendations.

     Which are?  ...basically unrestricted?  Does Maricopa County in fact
have any enforceable lighting restrictions included in their building code?