[AZ-Observing] Re: I-17

  • From: "Bob Erdmann" <bobe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 07:40:26 -0700

Hi All,

Welcome to the I-17 parking lot.  Ever since about February, I've been
coming to Prescott on week-ends, and did indeed start out using the I-17
parking lot, but recently changed routes two months ago to go through
Wickenburg due to the endless hours spent parked on the I-17 parking lot
either trying to get up here (I'm up here now), or trying to get back to
Tempe late Sunday nights.  IMHO, the state should permanently close the I-17
parking lot so that folks wouldn't make week-end travel plans which attempt
to use it, only to have them go up in smoke.  Now I just read, or hear,
about the insanity which takes place on the I-17 parking lot...in the mean
time, I'm looking for an alternate route to Prescott to replace the
Wickenburg one, just in case, but hopefully I won't have to use it soon.
The skies last night, from the Prescott area, were an 8 out of 10 so was
able to see NGC 891 (12th magnitude) pretty solid in my little 8-inch
NexStar GPS at around 10 PM.  Maybe the solution is to hunt for observing
sites which don't depend upon the use of the I-17 parking lot to get there.

/Bob