atw: Re: MS Word 2010 and change-tracking

  • From: "Geoffrey Marnell" <geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 20:57:22 +1000

Many thanks to everyone who responded to my cry for help. It appears that my
original document had numerous swollen lymph glands caused by many cancerous
graphics-related corruptions.

What this exercise has shown me yet again is how extraordinarily  accepting
many  of us in the technical writing profession are of the structural
weaknesses in yet another version MS Word, the tool most of us use most of
our time to earn our living. (X has failed because MS Word can't handle
manual formatting; Y has failed because MS Word is not good at handling
floating graphics. Z has failed because of . some feature that we were sold
on but, alas, doesn't work as advertised.)

Crikey, If TEAC, Sony or LG  advertises a feature of, say, a PVR and that
feature doesn't work, don't we feel- nay, know-that we can take that PVR
back to the retailer and get our money back? Why do we accept first-level
software that doesn't work as advertised (MS Word, for example) and not
second-level software (the software, for instance, that sits behind a PVR or
a set-top box)?  Why aren't we more rebellious?

I'm getting tired of having to continually upgrade our MS products to match
the software  our  clients have upgraded to, only to spend eras of unpaid
time trying to work out what aberrant tumours Microsoft has left gnawing
away at its supposedly saleable code.

Isn't it time we started to expect, to demand, that the implied warrant of
merchantability that applies to all other retailable products-cars, couches,
coffee-makers and the like-applied to software as well?

In a word: why do we put up with it?

 Cheers-less

Geoffrey Marnell

Principal Consultant