atw: Re: MS Word 2010 and change-tracking

  • From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 08:12:58 -0400

A few thoughts as to "why we put up with it":

This isn't specifically a TW problem. Experienced consumers of all stripes
already know that retail software is usually shipped with known defects. In the
world of consumer products, software is the king of mediocrity.

Occasionally, as with Firefox, a product will capture significant market share
without significant marketing, simply because it is somewhat less defective
than the market leader.

But unlike a coffee maker, when you return defective software, the retail
vendor often has no means of knowing whether or not you're still using it after
you "returned" it.