atw: Re: MS Word 2010 and change-tracking

  • From: Lana Brindley <lanabrindley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 07:12:23 +1000

Well, there are plenty of software offerings that don't come from
Microsoft but still suck. I had to learn FrameMaker in a weekend not
so long ago. Worst weekend of my life, and I've got a small child. I
wasn't talking about the corporate structure, but the way the software
is developed.

I've met a few of the Mozilla guys, including several of their
documentation team, and I have to say that their point of difference
is their focus on community. When there's a problem, there's not just
a few hundred (or thousand, in the case of MS) developers looking at,
but millions of interested users. That's a much bigger test base, and
a much bigger base of smart patch-writers. Even if the product that is
shipped has problems, those problems are generally fixed faster and
more completely than issues in Internet Explorer.

The Mozilla Developer Network is a thing of beauty, I can assure you,
and one of the main reasons why their software doesn't suck. There's a
lot to be learned there.