atw: Re: Paragraph spacing

  • From: SUNTER Bede <Bede_SUNTER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 15:11:36 +1000

I have, for a long time, taken a different approach to space than what seems to
be the consensus.
I only put space before -- typically 18 pts for headings, 12 for body text, 6
for bullet lists and 3 for table text. I use 3 points before and after for
table text so that the text doesn't commit unmentionables with the underside
rule of the table.

This means that spacing is always consistent. I've noticed that different
versions of Word handle para space differently leading to inconsistent spacing
across versions. So the single-side spacing was my preferred solution.

The only problem arises when a block of body text precedes a table (the
unmentionables again). For this I created a 'space' style - a para set to
exactly 6 points (applied by a keyboard shortcut of course).

Sounds complicated but it's actually simple when you decide to do it that way
and set up accordingly.

Bede