atw: Re: Advice wanted for a newly unemployed technical writer

  • From: "Fullerton, Elizabeth" <Elizabeth.Fullerton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 08:23:45 +1100

My company had signed an award agreement with APESMA which came into =
effect one week before they went under (!) - I queried DEWR as to my =
status (as a writer) under this award, and they said writers were =
covered. So if your company was a signatory to something like that, you =
may be covered.

We still had a brawl with the administrators, who at various times =
disputed that the award was active, or that we were covered by it, and =
who told us that we could go by our contracts or the award but not both =
(yes, we could go by both, this meant we could claim both notice and =
redundancy money) - and at one point informed us that they accepted that =
we were covered by the award but they still were not going to honour it.

And while you still should not have to wait in line for money from DEWR, =
they can't proceed until they have received the paperwork from the =
liquidator/administrator, and that could take six months.

Except in the case of the Mudgee Abbatoir, where employees received DEWR =
payouts within about a week of it going under, *before* the deed of =
company arrangement had even been accepted by creditors. It depends who =
your local MP is, how swiftly you receive payout, and how much that =
payout is. Not kidding.