atw: Re: Advice wanted for a newly unemployed technical writer

  • From: "Erisa Linsky" <slinka@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 15:52:52 +1100

Elizabeth, my sympathies go to you.  I watch what you write and I admire you
enormously, as an intelligent articulate woman.
I would like the ASTC to keep a register of these truant companies and their
directors and principals, because if they are trading again, or their
principals are still operating in the market, we would want to take a look
at what they are about, keeping an open mind, naturally.
Were they caught short and struggling through no fault of their own,
(perhaps ripped off by a multi-national)?   Or are they an ongoing repeat
performance of greedy or incompetent doings that will cheat more of our
members later?
And, yes it happened to me once, many years ago, as a contractor, but, via
friendly negotiation with the directors, I got a deal before the liquidators
moved in.  I was satisfied with the outcome, considering the difficult
circumstances we all faced.
Actually, if I had 14 years of continuous work, I would regard myself as a
very lucky little vegemite, and not cry too hard if I didn't get absolutely
everything I was owed at the end.
I will, however, run these things past some legal eagle friends in
Melbourne.
A good lawyer is always worth it, .....the hard part is finding the right
one.
Erisa