atw: Re: Advice wanted for a newly unemployed technical writer

  • From: "Peter G. Martin" <peter.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 13:03:52 +1100

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 12:18:54 +1100, Andrea Tappe wrote:
>Whoa, nasty! Obvious first points of contact would be the=
 Australian
>Taxation Office re. the unpaid tax and super - maybe they have=
 some sort of
>authority to attempt to recover the funds as a creditor? Dept of=
 Employment,
>Workplace Relations &=A0Small Business might be another good=
 source of help.
>(On the other hand, this is the government - so she may waste an=
 afternoon
>talking to a pack of tossers who want to leave this in the Too=
 Hard Basket -
>hopefully not!). What else? Assume she's not a union member, and=
 obviously
>it's a bit late to join one now - there may be people in one of=
 the big
>unions who have the legal nous to advise her on her rights=
 though.

Yes, it may be a bit late in one sense, but it's often still=
 worthwhile approaching a union, and
particularly if there are a number of people involved. (it's=
 called spreading the load, and offering
incentive to the union.).   Many unions will take on such cases,=
 usually under two (or more)
conditions:
1. that you join up Real Quick Now (you may not get the=
 unemployed member fee level immediately!);

2. that you are prepared to cop a fee or charge that those who=
 are already union members
   don't have to ---  usually a cost that is still a good deal=
 less than what you would have to
   fork out individually to take legal and administrative action=
 to support your claim(s).

Worth a try.   I think Media Alliance would be a candidate for=
 taking it on.
They've had experience in the field that you won't have had, they=
 have a deal more "muscle"
you have, and they've got the legals standing by for occasions=
 like this.

Doesn't hurt to test the water.... and be assured most unions=
 deal with non-member issues like
this without rancour, and indeed, usually with a measure of=
 sympathy and support.

-Peter G. Martin,
Technical writer, Proxima Technology