Re: [ARMini-support] In perperation for ARMX6 SP

  • From: A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 19:36:10 +0100

In message <551281717fRISCOS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"Richard Torrens (RISC OS)" <RISCOS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In article <060a741255.rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for this feedback.

I'm afraid I have to follow the Acorn/ROOL/Castle recommendations on
those things to some degree, to avoid unnecessary breaks in
compatibility.

Of course.

But I suspect your suggestions carry more weight than do most users!

I believe !Boot checks !Scrap early on (if memory serves), so moving
it would also mean modifications to !Boot, which I think might cause
something of a rift.

Yes. That seems correct. I have not investigated, but moving it caused
GhostScript to complain.

!Scrap is for temporary files. The problem is that Temporary is not a
measurement - but an opinion! With large disk, it makes sense for Netsurf
to keep files for several days - still temporary - but !Scrap can get
huge! It should not be in !Boot, I think.

In many ways !Boot is analagous to both the Windows folder on a PC,
and also the Users (aka "Documents and Settings) folder, excluding My
Documents/pictures/videos.

As such, things like settings are stored in !Boot.Choices, and
temporary files in !Scrap, whilst system modules are in !System.

There's an argument that this could be structured towards a !Boot and
a !UserData or something, but the "put things anywhere you like"
approach of RISC OS rather works against such a regimented system.

I suspect the fact that one of the reasons we love RISC OS is that we
aren't arm-twisted into having things in fixed "My Documents" folders
etc. As such, one "monolithic" !Boot with everything system-related
and setting-related inside is probably an acceptable "deal with the
devil" to ensure that everything else can be more freely located.

The big things tend to be !Scrap, !Cache (Netsurf) and !NewsDir, all
of which *need* to be seen before any dependant apps will run. None
could really be described as either Apps or Utilities, so short of
having a separate Resources folder, I'm not sure what to suggest.

The only time I can imagine it being a problem is length-of-backup,
and most backup software will allow folder exclusions. Simply exclude
the appropriate !Scrap folder or !Cache, and your backup will be quick
and simple.

Kind wishes,

Andrew

--
R-Comp
22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS