Re: [ARMini-support] In perperation for ARMX6 SP

  • From: "Richard Torrens (RISC OS)" <RISCOS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 16:55:32 +0100

In article <060a741255.rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for this feedback.

I'm afraid I have to follow the Acorn/ROOL/Castle recommendations on
those things to some degree, to avoid unnecessary breaks in
compatibility.

Of course.

But I suspect your suggestions carry more weight than do most users!

I believe !Boot checks !Scrap early on (if memory serves), so moving
it would also mean modifications to !Boot, which I think might cause
something of a rift.

Yes. That seems correct. I have not investigated, but moving it caused
GhostScript to complain.

!Scrap is for temporary files. The problem is that Temporary is not a
measurement - but an opinion! With large disk, it makes sense for Netsurf
to keep files for several days - still temporary - but !Scrap can get
huge! It should not be in !Boot, I think.

As for Apps and Utilities, both are "magic" folders in that they are
filer_boot-ed and more during startup by a default !Boot.

So are almost interchangeable in practise.

Your logic on which go in Apps and which in Utilities is sound
(although there's also !Boot.Resources which is similar to how you
deal with Utilities). Again, I have to largely go with the defined
guidelines (eg. !ChangeFSI should probably be in Apps, but is in
Utilities).

Indeed.

Acorn tended to put things in Utilities that weren't everyday things -
one off tools and recovery things (the definition of Utility, I guess)
such as !Hform, !Patch, !T12Font. Their feeling seems to have been
that Apps is for "proper" programs (eg. Draw or Fireworkz or whatever)
whilst Utilities was for things that many users would never need.

So, to conclude, I tend to follow the Acorn/ROOL template where
possible, for maximum compatibility with the rest of the world.

Indeed. My suggestions were food for though and to provoke opinions!

If you have specific suggestions/recommendations where you feel the
current layout is wrong, please say.

With the many launchers available nowadays, where programs reside is
probably less important than it used to be. But there are, I suppose, 3
groups:

1: applications that do something, but don't generate data. e.g.
!CloseFiles
!DiscKnght
!Locate
!PDFtest
!Reporter
!SciCalc
!Set-Type
!Snapper
!StampIt
!TaskUsage
!UnitConv

2: Applications which generate data, which data may be spread anywhere:
!Fireworkz
!Family
!OvnPro
!PipeDream
!ProCAD+
!StrongED

3: Applications which generate data likely to be (or should be) within
themselves
!ArcFax
!Pluto
!WebGet