Re: [ARMini-support] In perperation for ARMX6 SP

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 15:14:09 +0100

In article <a141741255.Kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kevin Corney
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender K.Corney for DMARC) wrote:

In message <55126e8e54jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Jim Lesurf
<jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In article <55126d10efRISCOS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Richard Torrens (RISC
OS) <RISCOS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would like to see !Scrap moved out of !Boot. I have a directory
$.DataApps where I keep applications which save data inside
themselves.

ATM moving !Scrap causes problems.

You'd have to expand on that as I'm not certain what you have in mind.
:-)

I routinely have !Scrap copied to ramdisc as one of the things enacted
as the bootup runs applications, etc.

Can you tell us how that is done, please?

I create an application directory I call !RamScrap and give it a !Run file
typed Obey which simply contains two lines

Copy SDFS::ARMiniX.$.!Boot.Resources.!Scrap RAM::RamDisc0.$.!Scrap
RF~C~V
Filer_Run RAM::RamDisc0.$.!Scrap

No other content is needed inside the directory. Although you can tart it
up with sprites if you wish. ;->

Note this is on my ARMiniX so you'd need to change the Copy line to suit
where !Scrap would be found on other machines. Note also that you need to
ensure that you *do* have a ramdisc and it is large enough for your usual
day-to-day use.

I then include this 'application' early in the list of items to be
Filer_Run at bootup.

The other key point is to check first if there is anything in the existing
!RamScrap that needs to be kept because an application is treating what
should be an area for *scrap* as a place to hold permanent info. IIRC
!NetSurf does this.

That means you can then delete any genuine scrap to reduce the size of what
it copied. But by default the main change as a result of doing the above is
that any 'new' scrap files will be lost over the next shutdown-startup
cycle. However so far as I'm concerned that is what *should* occur with
real 'scrap' files.

Use at your own risk, though. FWIW I've been doing this for many years and
the only real gotcha is when you need to work with something that tries to
overfill the available ram space. It should work with memphis I guess, but
I've not tried that.

I started doing it partly to speed things up, partly to reduce disc wear,
and partly because it cut down on HD clattering noises in the days of
rattling spinning rust. YMMV :-)

Jim

--
Electronics http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm