[argyllcms] Re: colprof and proofing purposes

  • From: Martin Weberg <martin.weberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 07:08:29 +0200

Hi Michael,

2009/9/27 Michael Schulz <ms.typografik@xxxxxx>:
> - ink limit: the max ink after the printer linearization is 360, the TAC of
> for example ISOcoated_v2.icc is 330 - which one should I use?

I assume you are building a proofer profile and are going to simulate
ISOcoated_v2. Right?

If the proofer is already inklimted by the RIP you could use 400
building the profile. The simulation profile (ISOcoat...) has nothing
to do with it.

> - gamut mapping: s or S and than sRGB, AdobeRGB or eciRGB for best results?

If your proofing you use relative or absolute colorimetric conversion
from simulation to proofer space. Then, -s or -S options does not
apply. However, if you plan to print RGB files without simulation you
should choose the RGB space of your files.

> - black generation: the advice of the RIP manufacturer is using a long and
> wide black generation.
> So far I tried for example: colprof -v -qm -cmt -dpp -S eciRGB_v2.icc -l360
> -kp 0 .3 1 1 .6 or .7...

Then, I would kick-in black earlier like 0.1 and use some more black.

Best,
Martin Weberg