[argyllcms] Re: Monitor hardware lut

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2015 15:52:24 +1000

Alan Goldhammer wrote:

I've been happy with NEC monitors and will contribute funds to purchase one
of those. I assume since their basic software Spectraview has not changed
over the years other than some minor fixes that the addressability across
the line of wide gamut "photo" monitors is the same. The price range is
also pretty reasonable depending on the size of the monitor. Since my
desktop is somewhat small, I find that I really do not need anything over 24
inches.

The communication to the display via DDC tends to be a problematic area with
all displays. You just have to take a look though the FAQ's and
bug reports of various display color management products from
X-Rite and others to see this. For instance:
<http://www.necdisplay.com/support-and-services/spectra-view-II/Compatibility>

It's interesting that a number of high end displays opt to provide a USB
connection as an alternative.

For me personally, a 24" wide screen display would be about the same vertical
size as my current 21" 4:3 display, and therefore offer no improvement
in the numbers of lines of text that can be displayed :-)