[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 14:04:03 -0500

I trust you are encouraged as you spend yourselves as ministers in God's
kingdom.

We consider ourselves creatures who inhabit a particular place in a vast
order that has been established by the great holy mystery we identify as
God.  We recognize in our most solemn reflections that the diversity around
us testifies of how God has intended the created order to function.  We want
to understand the life that God has designed for us, and we strive to live
in harmony with God's divine plan.  However, we seldom take note of the
existence of the universe from God's perspective.  What is the reason God
created the universe in the first place?  What can we surmise about why God
would ever have envisioned this kind of reality?  What have we learned from
the observations of others who have sought to understand what prompted God
to fashion worlds and stars and distinctive elements and to sustain their
life by some mysterious supervisory engagement?  What is God 'hoping for?'
Could it be that God desires companionship; that God acts solely to nurture
relationship?                     .Listen to the stories again, and wonder.
These thoughts will compose the sermon for this next Sunday, 'God's longing
for company.'