[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 10:04:26 -0500

I trust you are well and finding inspiration in your companionship with
God's spirit.

Do you recall a time when you were made to feel extremely excited about
something you were about to experience?  This specific attraction had the
capacity to engage you completely, drawing deep anticipations of enjoyment
and gratification to the surface.  Finally the time came whenever you had
opportunity actually to participate rather than imagine.  Truly your life
was enriched whenever the thing anticipated actually reflected in real
experience the dream which you had before only envisioned.  From this
perspective we might begin to understand how God responds to our earnest
intentions to honor the way of life that is innately established in the
created order-the pattern of living that respects and reflects the divine
anticipation for the creation.  When the orientation of our hearts is to
revere the Creator, our behaviors naturally follow this intention.  However,
whenever the designs of our heart disregard God's calling to us, no amount
of pretending will compensate for this fundamental deviation.  These
thoughts will compose the sermon for this next Sunday, 'Training the heart
to be reverent.'