[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: Garland Robertson <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 20:29:11 -0500

I pray you are well and encouraged in your journey of faith.

Tomorrow Laura and I leave Austin for Chicago where we will spend the weekend with our son. Laura will return on Monday, and I will begin my journey to Suleimaniya, Kurdistan, Iraq, on Tuesday, Jul 22, to join the CPT Iraq team until the end of August.

I am grateful for the vision of our community that prompts us to engage even the most difficult and disparate situations, near by and far away, with the message of repentance for forgiveness, reconciliation for the hope of the future for our children and our world. Circumstances sometimes seem irredeemable to us, with no clear guide for entering into and no certain promise of positive consequences. Yet the message of peaceful relationship nourished by justice and respect is a powerful resource, one that can withstand any assault. If we believe the universe is moving toward peace, then this word will be compatible with the eventual inauguration of God's kingdom.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you find your way into the days ahead. May there be refreshment and encouragement enough for your challenges and pursuits. Thank you for sharing the work of the church to enable me to make this pilgrimage.