[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 11:48:20 -0500

I pray you are well.

This next Sunday we will share the morning with Gene Stoltzfus, a gentle,
pleasant, seasoned peacemaker.  Gene will be our guest preacher and
afterward lead a discussion during our usual study time at 1100.  We expect
several visitors from the greater Austin community to join with us for this
experience.  Gene has traveled to Texas from his home in Canada, so we will
have opportunity to assist in his ministry by donating the morning offering
to him.

From its inception in 1988 until 2004, Gene directed the Christian
Peacemaker Teams program, a vision of Brethren, Mennonite, and Friends
churches that places persons in high conflict situations to promote
non-violent resolution and to revise power distribution.  Previously, Gene
directed the domestic Mennonite Voluntary Service program (1973-76), with
his wife Dorothy directed Mennonite Central Committee work in the
Philippians (1976-79), and directed the Urban Life Center in Chicago, IL
(1980-86).  For more than 40 years Gene has worked for peacemaking in a
variety of contexts, ranging from congressional visits in Washington DC to
prison cells following direct action campaigns to pre-Americanization
efforts in the Republic of South Vietnam.   Hopefully you will be able to
share this time with us as Gene discusses the work of violence reduction and
active nonviolent engagement.